The Guernsey Blind Association was first commenced in 1919 when a two ladies met to consider what could be done to aid blind children and those afflicted by a squint. It was after meeting a young boy recovering from surgery and he had nowhere to go afterwards. So they took him home taught themselves and two boys braille. They were then sent to the UK to become piano tuner’s and live independent lives.
Miss Richards and Miss Marrs formed a committee to raise funds, Miss Richards also taught braille and they continued like this for 20 years. In 1961 the reins of the association were handed over to Mrs Nina Wood, who continued fund raising and helping local people each year with the provision of glasses, eye tests, cataract operations and squint corrections.
Over the years the GBA have moved from a one roomed office shared with the St Peter Port Constables at Lefebvre Street to Le Four Cabot in St Andrews in 1998. The new building enabled better access for visually impaired clients on all levels with the addition of a resource centre, recording studio and a large bright social room and meeting room.
In 2019 the newly named building, Vision Support Centre covers anyone with a visual impairment to seek help with equipment, resources and financial support to live an independent life.
2019 being our Centenary Year which we are all very proud to have achieved thanks to all the hard work from everyone involved in the past and the present. Without our Trustees and volunteers we would not be celebrating this years wonderful achievement.